THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA
THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE (FMOF)
SUPPORT TO THE HOME FINANCE DEPARTMENT
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR THE ENGAGEMENT OF A COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST FOR THE SFTAS PROGRAM
1. The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has agreed with the World Bank on a multi-year (2018-2022) program to support Nigerian states to strengthen fiscal performance and sustainability: The State Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability (FTAS) Program for Results (“The Program”).
2. The Home Finance Department (HFD) in the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMoF) will house the SFTAS Program Coordination Unit (PCU). The PCU’s Key functions are to: i) coordinate state capacity building activities delivered by different implementing agencies; ii) conduct communications and outreach activities for the Program; iii) conduct monitoring and evaluation activities for the overall Program; iv) disburse P for R financing to the states on the basis of the verified results from the independent verification agent (IVA); v) provide accounting and reporting for the Program; vi) act as the interface with the Bank’s supervision and implementation support team; and vii) act as the secretariat for the Central Steering Committee. The Program’s technical assistance component will provide financing to FMoF to recruit several consultants to work alongside ministry staff to carry out the PCU’s key functions.
3. The FMoF has identified the need to engage a seasoned and experienced Consultant as the Communications Specialist for the SFTAS Program in the PCU during the Program’s implementation. The principal role of the Communication Specialist will be to lead both the internal and external communications and outreach activities for SFTAS Program.
4. The Communications Consultant is expected to conduct /implement the following key operational activities that include but are not limited to the following:
• Conduct Program sensitization activities among key stakeholders at the Federal and State levels at the start of the Program;
• Develop and effective communications and outreach strategy and annual work plans for SFTAS for the Program duration. This strategy should include target audience, targeted messages and materials for dissemination to achieve impact;
• Lead and coordinate the implementation of the communications and outreach strategy and annual work plan, which include but are not limited to the following activities:
o Developing communication and outreach materials, including press release, web and social media content, reports, summary notes, presentations, results stories and workshop materials. In doing so, the consultant will work with the relevant PMU team members, TA implementing partners and participating states in crafting relevant information to be shared containing the appropriate information for dissemination;
o Liaising with media companies to ensure adequate coverage of SFTAS activities as required. The consultant will manage the relationship between SFTAS and key media outlets on communications related activities;
o Working closely with the ICT team to establish the SFTAS website;
• Managing the content published on the SFTAS website, which will include the results of the annual performance assessments (individual state and aggregate program). The consultant will ensure relevant content is available, up-to-date, accurate and that the content presentation and website functionality is user friendly;
• Produce semi-annual communications and outreach activity reports for the central-level Steering Committee;
• Provide on-the-job mentoring and coaching support to FMoF staff seconded to the PCU in activities related to this consultancy;
• Perform other duties as required and requested by the Program Manager within the framework of this consultancy.
5. The Home Finance Department in the Federal Ministry of Finance hereby invites eligible individuals to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested individuals should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services. To qualify for shortlisting, applicants must possess the following qualifications criteria:
• Minimum of Master’s Degree or equivalent in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Internal Relations/Public Affairs or relevant field.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in managing conducting and managing communications and outreach activities in Nigeria, preferably related to development programs/public sector in Nigeria.
• Excellent knowledge and professional experience of different communications approaches, tools and methodologies useful in planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies- e.g. media operations, opinion research, audience outreach and message targeting;
• Experience in producing well written press release, feature articles, and publications;
• A well-developed network of media contacts with key media outlets;
• Proven track record of executing high impact communications projects, which involved effective use of web-based/online platforms;
• Experience in working with international organizations, bilateral donors and international financial institutions is an advantage;
• Computer literate with demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Fluency in spoken English required with excellent written English skills, including sound report-writing skills;
• Proven ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines;
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team.
6. The Individual consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” (Procurement Regulations) dated July 2016 (revised November 2017) under the “New Procurement Framework (NPF), available at the World Bank website:
7. Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours [from 09hours to 1600hours] Monday through Friday (Except Public Holidays) from the Project Coordinator, Tel: +234(0)8033462383.
8. Expressions of Interest accompanied by candidate’s curriculum vitae must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail) on or before Monday, 27th August, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. prompt.
The Project Coordinator
Support to the Home Finance Department
Federal Ministry of Finance
Block B, Room 330, Third Floor,
Federal Ministry of Finance Building,
Central Business District, Abuja.
E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN