Plan International Nigeria is part of the global federation of Plan International registered in Nigeria in 2014, Plan International works in 70 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas. Plan International’s Global Strategic Goals is to strive for just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. In the next five years Plan International is committed to ensuring 100 million girls around the world learn, lead, decide and thrive.
For 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives.
Plan International Nigeria is implementing the North East Nigeria Transition to Development – Education in Emergency Project (NENTAD) project with support from Ukaid through DFID. The project seeks to contribute to the increase of school enrollment of children aged 6-18 years ensuring quality education for children who have been out of school for at least 1 year as a result of insurgency or who have never been to formal school.
NENTAD is in partnership with the UNICEF, Borno State Universal Basic Education Board (BoSUBEB), Borno State Ministry of Religious Affairs (MoRA) and Borno State Agency for Mass Education (BoSAME) to improve access to quality learning. To this end, Plan International Nigeria is requesting for bids from Consultants/Contractors based in Borno State who have previous experience in the construction of Temporary Learning Spaces, WaSH facilities and renovated classroom to provide construction service in Maiduguri, Gwoza, Jere and Monguno LGAs.
Specifically, the objectives for the Consultant/Contractor include but not limited to the following activities:
1. Work with Borno State Universal Basic Education Board and Ministry of Religious Affairs to construct Temporary Learning Spaces, Renovation/Rehabilitation of classrooms and construction of WaSH and sanitation facilities in schools as well as construction of chairs for pupils/students under the guidance of Plan International.
2. Design a pictorial image of the sample to be constructed (Temporary Learning Spaces and WaSH facilities)
3. Design/develop CPM/PERT
4. Ensuring that the design model is reliable and durable
5. Write and submit a technical report for the completion of construction and rehabilitation work in soft and hard copies (colored) to Plan International Nigeria.
The consultant will report directly to Plan International Nigeria NENTAD Project Manager. The Program Manager will provide coordination with support from the Education in Emergency Specialist and the government agencies involved.
1. Roles and Responsibilities of Consultant:
• Design the TLS/WaSH facilities model under the guidance of Plan International Nigerian NENTAD Project Manager.
• Ensure continuous interactions with NENTAD Project Manager to ensure quality construction of TSL/WaSH facilities are provided.
• Utilize 7 days to construct TLS, 14 days to construct WaSH facilities and 21 days to rehabilitate classroom with supervision from BoSUBEB, MoRA and Plan International Nigeria.
• Use 2 days to write and submit a final report documenting all processes and to submit hard and soft copy of the finalized to Plan International Nigeria.
2. Specific Scope:
The task involves the provision of infrastructure to schools that need as part of the process of ensuring quality education as accountability phase of the project. it will serve as a means for ensuring the availability of reliable Schools to foster improved learning at Primary and Junior Secondary level which will help to strengthen government system and child development on the part of the project. This work shall be implemented in Gwoza, Monguno, Maiduguri and Jere LGAs.
Deliverables, Time Frame and Level of Effort
The period of the contract will be expected to cover a maximum of 30 days as per agreed upon timeline. The Consultants/Contractors are expected to conduct all the preparation required to facilitate the construction/rehabilitation of classrooms, TLS, WaSH facilities and approval of the completed task as suggested in the time frame below:
3. Qualifications of Consultant(s):
A Bachelor’s degree in building engineering, civil engineering or an equivalent from a recognized University.
At least 3 years’ practical work experience in the specific task
Experience in working in Borno State
Proven understanding of construction concepts considering children that are physically challenged and child’s right.
Experience in working with low literacy communities especially in low resource settings.
Fluency in English and the local language (Hausa or Kanuri)
Excellent skills in documentation and reporting.
4. Application Package and Procedures
A completed application should contain the following:
i. Detailed company’s CV demonstrating technical expertise and previous experience in coordinating and facilitating activities of a similar nature.
ii. Names and contact information of focal person who can be contacted regarding relevant experience.
iii. A copy of previous report of a similar job undertaken.
Completed applications should be submitted electronically to [email protected]
Completed application should reach Plan International Nigeria on or before 29th of February 2018 via the email above.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
Prospective applicants should note that Plan International Nigeria takes issues of corruption and terrorism seriously and will conduct checks before any formal engagement.
Plan International is committed to actively safeguarding children from harm and ensuring children’s rights to protection are fully realized.
SOURCE: DAILY TRUST