REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP) TELECOMMUNICATIONS-BASED RESEARCH INNOVATION FROM ACADEMICS IN NIGERIA TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS – 2019
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the Regulator of the telecommunication industry in Nigeria, supports amongst other things, telecommunication-based innovations, inventions and research from tertiary institutions in the country that are practical, locally realizable and have clear potential of developing the telecommunications industry.
Pursuant to this objective, the Commission invites proposals from Academics in tertiary institutions that have feasible research ideas, capable of replacing or enhancing foreign technologies in the telecommunications industry in Nigeria. It is envisaged that the initiative will help build capacity in the tertiary institutions and promote Nigeria’s contribution to the pool of technologies in use in the communications industry.
Interested researchers are invited to submit their proposals which must:
- Come from teaching Academics in Nigeria’s tertiary institutions;
- Have a one-page executive summary of the research proposal to include relevance of the research to the telecommunication industry, deliverables, Novelty of Concept, Methodology, team experience Project timeline and
- Detailed costs schedule.
The criteria for the evaluation of the research submissions include the following:
- Adherence of proposal to stated requirements above.
- Novelty of the research proposal (comprehensive literature review to bring out clearly the novelty of the research).
- Clears statement and explanation of the problem.
- Proposed solution to the problem.
- Proposed approach and methodology.
- Each project including prototype development must be concluded within 2 years.
- The project cost should not exceed a maximum of thirteen million Naira (N13,000,000.00) only.
(The Commission reserves the right to review this maximum amount).
- Any Academic with a yet to be completed Research project with the Commission SHOULD NOT apply.
- Total cost (including all costs) of the project must be clearly stated and broken down details, for which there can be no variation.
- Proof of concept (feasibility of idea with diagram, algorithm, etc.)
- Clear relevance to the telecommunications industry.
- Evidence of local realization up to prototype.
- Cost reasonable (cost of actualizing the idea including hardware and software requirements but excluding purchase of Vehicles, Furniture or Internet data, foreign trips and allowances).
- Schedule of project organization.
- Coherent presentation/packaging of concept.
Integration of research with education (capacity building of students via the implementation of the project in the institution).
- Allowance of Research should not exceed 20% of cost of actually doing the research.
- Evidence of competence of Team in excluding the project (include past work and CVs of team members).
Submission of Proposal
Submission will undergo preliminary assessment. The proposals that are adjudged promising and capable of developing the telecommunication industry will be further evaluated by another level of assessors. Sponsors/authors of research submissions may be invited for defense of their proposals before a decision is taken on whether the Commission will fund their project(s) or not.
Interested researchers are invited to submit soft copies (CD & mail to [email protected]) as well as TWO HARD copies of their research proposals on or before 5pm, 23rdAugust, 2019 to the address below. Please note that any proposal submitted after the deadline will be rejected automatically.
The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO
Director, Research and Development,
Nigerian Communications Commission,
Plot 423, Aguiyi Ironsi Street,
Maitama, Abuja – Nigeria.
Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta, (FNSE, FRAES, FAEng)
Executive Vice Chairman/CEO
Nigerian Communications Commission
423, Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama – Abuja.
Tel: +234 – 9 – 4617000 – 29. Fax: +234 – 9 – 4617514.
Toll Free No: 622. E-mail: [email protected]
SOURCE: DAILY TRUST